Archives of the TeradataForum
Message Posted: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 @ 18:19:10 GMT
Oh those much smarter than I...
Can I get some experienced insight on the various reasons why Blocking occurs in Teradata.
Here are some of my observations.
Reasons for Blocking / Solution for removing Block:
1. Database has a Host Utility Lock (Arcmain) / (Release Lock "databasename" , override;)
2. View not locking table "database.tablename" for access / (add locking row for access to view if appropriate)
3. User not locking for Access in SQL Statement / (Hey user, add locking table for access statement to SQL )
4. ETL process trying to DROP, RENAME, CREATE, REPLACE an object. / (object in use, Something has Data Dictionary locked. ???)
5. ETL process using the DD to build FEXP scripts while other ETL processes trying to write to DD. / (HELP )
I am working on improving our system performance and have found that a lot of what we are running into are workload management issues. I want to refine any processes that would be considered competing processes such as using the data dictionary to feed FastExport scripts to minimize maintenance of the scripts. These tables do not change often so I see building the FEXP scripts once and leaving the DD alone.
Your insight is greatly appreciated.
|Copyright 2016 - All Rights Reserved|
|Last Modified: 27 Dec 2016|